Re: [Gnash-dev] Media handlers

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Media handlers
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 21:22:28 +0200

Am Montag, den 19.07.2010, 21:07 +0200 schrieb Adrian Panasiuk:
> >> 3. They're getting compiled but the static initialization isn't
> >> performed. I can't think of a good reason (except possibly linking) why
> >> that might happen.
> >>
> > but that's why i'm using a static lib instead of the shared one?
> >

> Hi, I have the same problem under Haiku and it's caused by the static
> variable inside GnashFactory::instance function - it's linked into
> different addresses in the shared libraries and in the gui executable.
> I've been told this is because Haiku's linker doesn't support weak
> symbols correctly.

I don't this is the problem that Andrea is having, but rather that for
statically linked libraries the registration objects are never
constructed. This is because they only have to be initialized before a
function in that TU is called, and no function in the TU is ever called.

Fixing it means either relying on a linker flag or introducing a
function call into each TU with a registration object, which rather
defeats the point of using such objects at all.

bwy

--
Free Flash, use Gnash
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/