Re: [Gnash-dev] Feature request: The ability to change the frame-rate

From: Craig Kelley
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Feature request: The ability to change the frame-rate
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:29:38 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Daniel Cook wrote:

Hi Craig

I thought it probably would be possible to set the frame rate in the encoder,
however (a) I wonder whether going from (say) a rawvideo with 39fps to 30fps
might be worse quality than simply setting dump-gnash to 30fps (as 30/39 is not
a whole number) (b) as the rawvideo files are really massive then setting all
other things being equal, recording (say) 30fps or 24fps could reduce the hard
disk space required.

Yes, it will use more disk space temporarily to dump at a higher framerate -- but after re-encoding, it will be the same size. I suspect that you'll also have a higher quality file because the encoder will have more data to work with. That being said, I think strk is correct that having a general-purpose flag would be great.

(By the way, I'm very much a newbie to participating in open-source projects).

Have fun!  :-)

  -Craig

--
Craig Kelley