[Gnash-dev] -j4 forced in 'make deb'

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] -j4 forced in 'make deb'
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:15:47 +0100

I've noticed that 'make deb' step on my old laptop buildbot
slave was killing the connection with master (repeated
"slave lost" events).

My slave runs with nice 10 and completed all steps by 'make deb'.

One possible cause is the forced -j4 switch, even if my machine
is a single-CPU one.

Antrik on IRC says:

< antrik> strk: -j4 definitely does have a cost. it increases system
          load; so anything else running on the machine gets less
          resources

Oh, note that the laptop is also my HTPC, so I'd like it to give
low and controlled priority to the builds...

So, question is: do you agree on dropping -j4 from packaging/deb.am ?
It's line 260:

 (cd $(BUILD_DIR); dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -j4)

It is possible for people willing to run faster to engage an -j4 by
using an environment variable...