Re: [Gnash-dev] Relation between hardware acceleration and renderers

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Relation between hardware acceleration and renderers
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 19:06:17 +0200

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 10:55:27AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 09/07/11 10:36, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> > In particular, a recently opened task [1] is about making
> > double-buffering work for both AGG _and_ hardware accelerated GPU:
> > does it mean that hardware acceleration is a new renderer or do we
> > get hardware acceleration for any existing renderer ?
>
>   Gnash has had hardware acceleration support since the very beginning,
> so I don't quite see your point.

What kind of acceleration are you talking about ?
In the beginning there was only OpenGL, which you just said is crap.

More recently, XV acceleration was added, and then removed.
That attempt seemed to be renderer-agnostic (it would have scaled
final rendered stage to output size).

I've no point here, just trying to understand the new architecture.

> We now have a new renderer, OpenVG
> (with OpenGLES as a future task), that can use the GPU for both double
> buffering, image transformations, hardware gradient support, and video
> decoding. Many of the changes made for OpenVG (the hwaccel branch) are
> to take full advantage of hardware acceleration where ever possible.

Ok, that's clearer now. So all acceleration is in a new renderer.

>   The current double buffering code was AGG specific, whereas the task
> is to refactor this so it also works with hardware based double
> buffering, initially OpenVG.

Can we get the old code for FB/AGG now and something else whenever you
want for FB/OpenVG then ?