Re: [Gnash-dev] FSF directed donations / committee

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] FSF directed donations / committee
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 18:20:16 +0200

[ flames intentionally suppressed ]

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 09:51:24AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:

> If you want total control, fork Gnash, and do your own thing
> instead of trying to push me off a project I've put so much time
> and energy into. I still do some Gnash work every day...

I'm not trying to push you off. Every single contribution is important.
And your contributions are particularly significant.

I'm just trying to move Gnash forward to a more "evolutionary stable"
governance model [1]

[1] http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/consensus-democracy.html

>   I agreed with you about a committee to only handle any decisions over
> allocating any funds the FSF would raise. It's turning that committee
> into something else that I can't agree with. At the same time I see an
> inability to make even simple decisions anymore without drama, and
> potential difficulties in figuring out how to handle any funds. The
> advantages of using PubSoft like we have been is that we don't have to
> agree on anything, it's between the developer and the donor.

I see no drama here
We just need a codified method of resolving conflicts.
One way is "last word to dictator" and another is "last resort is voting".
I'd prefer the latter.

>  Thinking of funding, there is still the $1400 for AVM2 (of which I
> contributed $350 cause of taxes) which still has no takers. Lack of any
> form of AVM2 support is making Gnash irrelevant...

I don't think any governance model will help in finding people willing
to work on this or that task. But might help choosing among proposals,
if they ever come up.