[Gnash] Welcome to the Gnash project!

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash] Welcome to the Gnash project!
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:17:57 -0800

Gnash is a new GNU project to build a media player that's compatible
with Macromedia "Shockwave Flash" standards and plays common ".swf"
files.  Gnash will work both as a standalone application, and as a
browser plugin (initially for Firefox).

Gnash is based on the excellent work done on the public domain program
"GameSWF", a graphics library for games that contains the heart of a
Flash interpreter.  Further development will aim this code toward the
goal of playing arbitrary Flash "movies".  This goal diverges from the
goals of the GameSWF maintainers (which are to make a good public
domain graphics library for games), and they were unwilling to accept
some of our patches as a result.  We're forking the code and pushing
foward.  New code for Gnash will be licensed under the GPL (version 2
or better).  I'm sure we can contribute public domain bug fixes back
to GameSWF, though our major development will be GPL licensed.

        John Gilmore