Re: [Gnash] spyware buried in Flash movies

From: Nicolas Cannasse
Subject: Re: [Gnash] spyware buried in Flash movies
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:42:59 +0100

Rob Savoye wrote:
While watching some debug messages fly by, I noticed this link that luckily was failing: http://mochibot.com. It turns out Mochibot is spyware for Flash movies. When a movie is played, their server is contacted, and they track who and where the movie is being played.

Anyway, "elvis" is now clean. Sorry for not noticing earlier. I'll be careful when collecting test cases off the net... I imagine there are other companies embedding this sort of thing into Flash movies, but at least now I know to look for it.

    - rob -

It's one of the possibilities of Flash of being able to connect to a server and exchange data. You can't really do any serious application without that. The difference between Spyware and this website is that Spyware works for *everything* you're doing while this website can only report you're visiting it (just like any hit counter BTW, or Apache logs as well). But it can't know what you're visiting else.

Nicolas