Re: [Gnash] regarding formats

From: flamma
Subject: Re: [Gnash] regarding formats
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:39:39 +0100

Daniel James wrote:

Hi Richard,

Currently, I don't think they can actively be enforced in Europe.

This is a sentiment I've heard in the free software community several times since the European Parliament vote last July. However, I think it's unrealistically optimistic. Note that the European Parliament voted to reject a new directive on software patents, rather than voting for a directive which said that software patents were invalid in European law. To quote from the FFII press release at the time of the vote:

"It marks the end of an attempt by the European Commission and governmental patent officials to impose detrimental and legally questionable practises of the European Patent Office (EPO) on the member states. However, the problems created by these practices remain unsolved."

Cheers!

Daniel