Re: [Gnash] Gnash licensing

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash licensing
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:35:24 -0700

Gervase Markham wrote:

I am not arguing for relicensing Gnash simply because that will lead to it having more users or more popularity. (If that were my goal, I would be arguing that you should licence it under BSD terms.) I am arguing for relicensing it because I think that more users will get given more free software and so have more freedom.

One of the main platforms for Gnash is running the standalone player on embedded GNU/Linux systems. I anticipate that actually there will likely be as many people using it that way than as a plugin. So I'm not really that worried about "market acceptance" as I am in creating a flash player that can run in many environments where there is zero flash solution. The plugin is just another output device to Gnash.

I fully understand the differences between "free software" and "open source software", and to me freedom is more important than having more users. I think Gnash will actually be a better plugin than the proprietary one over time, as free software is usually better tailored to the real needs of the user base.

That said, Gnash will stay GPL'd. As a developer, that is my preferred license to write code under. I appreciate the wonderful browser the Mozilla and Firefox teams have created, but can't see any real reasons to change the Gnash license. RMS has said he can add an exemption to the GPL to cover it's use as a plugin. If that works for you, that works for me.

        - rob -