Re: [Gnash] Warnings under g++ version 4

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Warnings under g++ version 4
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 08:26:37 -0700

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

I running Ubuntu breezy on my main development machine and it has
g++ version 4.0.2 as its default compiler. However when I compile
gnash with this compiler I get rather a large number of warnings.

Other than a few about "unused variables", most of these should be gone as of the checkin I made last night. Right now I'm also on "breezy", although I usually use a fresh GCC built from CVS once a week.

With C++ I usually find that warnings are well worth getting rid
of. Would a patch that removes these warnings be accepted?

  Sure, as long as the patches are clean.

The other thing I would also like to do is add a --enable-gcc-werror
option for the configure script. This would not be enabled by default,
but when it is enabled would add a -Werror to the CXXFLAGS to turn
all warnings into errors.

I'm a fan of compiling with zero warnings, and with -Wall. Once the warnings are fixed, it'd be ok to add this option. Sometimes during development it's nice to be able to ignore some of the messages, but most of the time I think it's better to just have no warnings. I've been amazed over the years how often subtle bugs arise that would have been fixed if I just paid attention to all the warning messages from the compiler.

Finally, it might be nice for developers if the autgen.sh script
automatically configures with --enable-gcc-werror when the code
is pulled out of CVS.

As much as I like this behavior, I think I'd leave this up to discussion among the other developers.

        - rob -