Re: [Gnash] Re: gnash only creates blank standalone window.....

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Re: gnash only creates blank standalone window.....
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:18:00 -0600

Miriam Ruiz wrote:

Will FLTK be embedded right in the core of the libraries or will it just be
the upper layer? I mean, will it be possible in the future to embed gnash in
an SDL window? (I'm not exactly talking just about the standalone player, but
possibly plugins for other programs or even directly linking to the libraries
to embed the flash playing code).

It is possible to embed Gnash into any window, at least on X11 by passing the -x option to Gnash to set the window ID to an existing window. I also recently added the -j and -k options to set the window size to the parent window, so this should work now regardless of which GUI toolkit is used. This is how the plugin works now.

The FLTK support will be an upper layer, as I don't want to have any GUI code in the Flash interpreter engine itself. This will reduce the number of dependencies required to build Gnash for GTK. The GTK support will continue to be maintained, since in a desktop environment that's what works the best. Maybe someday somebody will want to add native KDE support, but this isn't on the TODO list.

        - rob -