[Gnash] MP3 will be legal

From: a thing
Subject: [Gnash] MP3 will be legal
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:44:51 -0700

Daniel James <address@hidden> wrote:
We are not prepared to issue and irrevocable, free patent license to
GPL and LGPL software using our patents.

This means MP3 will never be free software compatible.

Yes, it will, in April 2010 when the patent expires. But for now we should let
GStreamer do the sound decoding, and if the user has the gstreamer-plugins-ugly
package, GStreamer will play the MP3s in the flash file.

The only long-term solution is to lobby Macromedia to include Vorbis support
into a future open Flash standard. It's in their commercial and technical
interest to do so, as Vorbis is royalty free, and sounds better than MP3 at low
bitrates.

I concur.