Re: [Gnash] Re: Time for a new gnash release?

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Re: Time for a new gnash release?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:47:34 +0100

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 10:30:32AM -0500, Gerald Britton wrote:
> I'm sure that gnash needs more developers. (Wish I could help but time
> does not permit)  I also think that it is healthy to declare a stable
> release periodically.

For more mature projects, sure, to have more coverage, and also to
be available for more users. For gnash (and to my knowledge) these
are not important issues now.

> Such a release would support a defined list of
> features on specified platforms.

Those would be different from the development stream, and therefore
not usefull for the development, gnash is moving too fast. Just have
a look at what happened for the previous release. (My personal opinion
is that the previous release was important to do to attract developpers
with something that works, but not for testing).

> This would allow package maintainers
> to include it in distros which would get gnash into wider use.

Once again, I don't think that wider use is a interesting goal for gnash
by now. Hopefully it will become at some point, but currently, and in
my opinion, completing some features and fixing some bugs is more
important. Doing a release costs time, 2 branches have to be maintained
separately and  a freeze has to happen.

That's only my opinion, I am not a really gnash developper, more
a tester/packager.

--
Pat