Re: [Gnash] Re: Time for a new gnash release?

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Re: Time for a new gnash release?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 17:39:24 +0100

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 02:05:51PM -0200, Dâniel Fraga wrote:

>       As maybe it will take many months until Adobe provides a 64bit
> plugin, Gnash could step ahead and provide video support. This would be
> amazing since for the rest (like sites using menus or banners) Gnash
> has been acceptable here.

It is a goal of current gnash development, but a new release won't
actually speed things - except if it attracts developers.

>       I know there's a lot of work to do, but from the user point of
> view, the most expected "feature" is video playback.

The developers seem to share a similar view.

>       Ps3: regarding release issues, yes, a more frequent release
> process is a stimulus for more users to test Gnash (it's like the
> Linux kernel... the real world test is when there's the official
> release).

I don't think that it is a very good paralell since in the case of
the kernel test coverage is very important due to the different
hardware and uses. For gnash there is already many bug reports and
many cases where gnash isn't functionning, and adding more won't help
fixing them. I agree that, at some point more testing in the wild
could help, but currently some features are lacking and many bugs need
fixing. To state it otherwise, gnash isn't in search of bugs, but of
bugfixes and of feature fixes. (Still that's only my opinion).

--
Pat