Re: [Gnash] There is another OSS Flash alternative.

From: Gabriele Giacone
Subject: Re: [Gnash] There is another OSS Flash alternative.
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 03:26:37 +0100

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Devin Harper <address@hidden> wrote:
> Would it be good to install both Lightspark and Gnash because it will
> fallback to Gnash when it is needed, or is there still trouble with playing
> AVM2 movies because Gnash does not fallforward to Lighspark? In other words,
> is there an incompatibility gap that may cause something to crash or not
> play a as many videos as either one can do on its own?
>
> If I install both, will I be able to play so many videos it would be
> comparable to having Adobe Flash installed like I have now? In other words,
> would I be able to play a lot of videos on platforms other than Youtube
> also?

If you want to play both AVM1 and AVM2, you do have to install both.
Then Lightspark will detect AVM2 and try to play or detect AVM1 and
fall back to Gnash.
Gnash can plays almost all AVM1 around, old flash generation replaced
with AVM2 by many sites and Lightspark can play just few AVM2 at the
moment.

https://github.com/lightspark/lightspark/wiki/Site-Support

Youtube is the only special case because if site detects Gnash, it'll
offer an AVM1 movie Gnash can play, otherwise it'll offer an AVM2
movie. Few months ago, youtube AVM1 was played better by Gnash than
AVM2 by LS, maybe LS improved that in the meanwhile. If you want to
give it a try and both are installed, disable/uninstall LS.

Nowadays most of flash animations out there are AVM2, so file bugs at
lightspark bug tracker and follow their progress, project is still
active. Gnash is not really dead but there are no active developers
who can improve it further, maintenanĀ©e mode.

--
Gabriele