gnats-prs

gnats/54: gnats installed itself with MAIL_AGENT set to "false"!

From: sam
Subject: gnats/54: gnats installed itself with MAIL_AGENT set to "false"!
Date: 18 Mar 2000 18:55:46 -0000

>Number:         54
>Category:       gnats
>Synopsis:       gnats installed itself with MAIL_AGENT set to "false"!
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Sat Mar 18 11:04:00 PST 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     address@hidden
>Release:        3.113
I installed GNATS on a system without sendmail installed.
I realize this was pretty foolish, but after I installed
sendmail GNATS still wouldn't work.  I finally realized
that GNATS had chosen "false" for MAIL_AGENT!

This causes send-pr to emit the disturbing error "mysterious
mail failure".  Only by greping send-pr did I eventually
realize the cause.
>How-To-Repeat:
Install GNATS on a system without sendmail.
>Fix:
GNATS installation should fail rather than set MAIL_AGENT
to "false".  As far as I can tell GNATS needs a real
MAIL_AGENT to function.