gnats-prs

gnats/162: linux kernel 2.4.x will not compile PPP properly using gcc 2.

From: josephmcpherson
Subject: gnats/162: linux kernel 2.4.x will not compile PPP properly using gcc 2.95.2.
Date: 6 Mar 2001 12:29:26 -0000

>Number:         162
>Category:       gnats
>Synopsis:       linux kernel 2.4.x will not compile PPP properly using gcc
>2.95.2.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Mar 06 04:34:01 PST 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Joseph McPherson
>Release:        unknown-1.0
There are no error messages I have noticed.  gcc 2.95.2 makes the kernel.  The
kernel is installed and the machine boots up with no problems noted except no
PPP.  The appropriate selections are made using menuconfig.  The kernel config
file was checked and all PPP was selected.  Working PPP support is not built
into kernel nor is working support built as modules.  The modules are created
but they do not work.

These problems go away using egcs 1.1.2 version 2.91.66.
>How-To-Repeat:
Use gcc 2.95.2 with glibc 2.1.3 and attempt to install PPP support.
>Fix:
Use egcs 1.1.2 version 2.91.66