gnats-prs

gnats/284: gnatsd crashes on submit of PR w/empty Reporter's email

From: yngve . svendsen
Subject: gnats/284: gnatsd crashes on submit of PR w/empty Reporter's email
Date: 16 Oct 2001 19:11:13 -0000

>Number:         284
>Category:       gnats
>Synopsis:       gnatsd crashes on submit of PR w/empty Reporter's email
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Oct 16 12:14:00 PDT 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     address@hidden
>Release:        GNATS 4 latest CVS
>Environment:

When a PR is submitted without a From: header, gnatsd crashes with a segfault
at line 399 of mail.c:
fprintf (msg, "From: %s\n", fromAddr);

It is supposed to use the Reporter's e-mail address in the From: line of the
mail that is sent out when a new PR arrives (initial-pr-notification), and
naturally dies when attempting to use a nonexistent value.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
This requires a design decision. For many applications of GNATS, blank From:
lines are perfectly acceptable, and I would suggest that we still send out mail
when a PR without From: arrives, but that we use the fixed-address
"gnats-admin" as From: line in notification mail in those cases.