gnats/433: tar --delete option appears overzealous

From: suz
Subject: gnats/433: tar --delete option appears overzealous
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:17:47 -0500

>Number:         433
>Category:       gnats
>Synopsis:       tar --delete option appears overzealous
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Nov 15 16:17:47 -0500 2002
>Originator:     Suzan Wassman
>Release:        1.13.25-4

Dell Pentium III
RedHat 7.3
gcc 2.96-112
glibc 2.2.5-37
If the --delete option to tar specifies a file that does not exist in the
tarball, tar deletes the last file in the tarball instead.

   tar -f tarball.tar --delete unwanted.txt

This will remove unwanted.txt if it DOES exist in tarball.tar, or if it DOESN'T
exist, it will remove the last file listed in tarball.tar.
See "Description" above
My workaround was to create the initial tarball and exclude the unwanted file
  tar cf tarball.tar --exclude unwanted.txt /my/backup/dir

This will not include unwanted.txt in tarball.tar; if unwanted.txt DOES NOT
exist in /my/backup/dir tree, there do NOT appear to be any unpleasant