gnats-prs

gnats/433: tar --delete option appears overzealous

From: suz
Subject: gnats/433: tar --delete option appears overzealous
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:17:47 -0500

>Number:         433
>Notify-List:
>Category:       gnats
>Synopsis:       tar --delete option appears overzealous
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
Dell Pentium III
RedHat 7.3
gcc 2.96-112
glibc 2.2.5-37
If the --delete option to tar specifies a file that does not exist in the
tarball, tar deletes the last file in the tarball instead.

   tar -f tarball.tar --delete unwanted.txt

This will remove unwanted.txt if it DOES exist in tarball.tar, or if it DOESN'T
exist, it will remove the last file listed in tarball.tar.
>How-To-Repeat:
See "Description" above
>Fix:
My workaround was to create the initial tarball and exclude the unwanted file
  tar cf tarball.tar --exclude unwanted.txt /my/backup/dir

This will not include unwanted.txt in tarball.tar; if unwanted.txt DOES NOT
exist in /my/backup/dir tree, there do NOT appear to be any unpleasant
surprises.