[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Call for testers: gNewSense / MIPS almost complete

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Call for testers: gNewSense / MIPS almost complete
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:36:11 -0500

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 05:42:27PM -0500, Daniel Clark wrote:
>> Also if someone needs a DVD burned/mailed to them because they are
>> behind a really slow connection we can arrange that (you would of course
>> need to transfer to a USB stick you own).
>
> I haven't looked into producing iso images out of my apt archive, but it
> shouldn't be hard to do by playing a bit with debian-cd scripts.
>
> Note that an USB stick can be converted into an install system by simply
> copiing an ISO image that contains a package archive to its root directory.
>
> BUT the netboot initrd won't use it.  A separate build of D-I will be needed.
> I can make one of those without too much effort though.  Maybe I can have a
> look tomorrow.

I was thinking more they would have both the files they need to boot
from, and could just serve the other files via their local network from
the DVD. Just as a short-term hackish thing. Of course your way sounds
much better longer term :)

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny