Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Call for testers: gNewSense / MIPS almost complete

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Call for testers: gNewSense / MIPS almost complete
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 20:37:25 +0100

Sam Geeraerts schreef:
Hm, in the partitioning stage the installer tells me I should use "the old ext2 (revision 0) filesystem" (maybe same problem as Laurent Guerby). I go back and do that.

Then it says my boot partition should be the first primairy partition on the disk. I liked to keep what was on there, so I just continued. At the end it tries to get a file from the mirror server, but fails, so I choose "Ignore".

A bit later it says it failed to install 'colo' in /target/. Continuing.

Then it fails to execute preconfigured command ("echo do_symlinks = no > /target/etc/kernel-img.conf ; apt-install linux-image-2.6.27-libre-medan"). Next. Finished. Reboot.

PMON2000 still confuses me. I booted with wd0b and /dev/hda5. The latter makes sense because I created a logical partition, but how does that match with wd0b? Oh wait, I installed that Chinese Debian distro on /dev/hda3 and that has vmlinux-2.6.27.1-yeeloong. I'd still say b!=3. My new install on /dev/hda5 on the other hand has no kernels. /boot contains default.colo and delo.2nd.

Anyway, it boots into a console and I can log in. Yay! What I can't do is "sudo" and I was never asked to set a password for root.

And that concludes the story of my experiences with Robert's netboot. I hope it will prove useful. Join us next time for more exciting gNewSense hacking. (Seriously, join us!) Goodnight.

I just finished another install. It went fine now (ignoring that one retry I had to do). I have a kernel in /boot and sudo works. I chose to install the desktop system software collection (previously my only option there was mail server) and ended up with just the console, but that's not too bad. I could install stuff (with "untrusted packages" warning). So the installer seems to work for me after all.

What's not so great is my bootloader. PMON only sees the first two data partitions. I'm getting by with loading a kernel from one of those partitions and setting root=/dev/hda5. Going to take a closer look at this.