Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Webapps infrastructure

From: Eric Padman
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Webapps infrastructure
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:29:11 +1200

Hi all,

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:37:30 -0500
> "Luis A. Guzman Garcia" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > El vie, 24-04-2009 a las 11:19 +0930, Karl Goetz escribió:

> > > On a purely personal level, I hate using hosted services, and if
> > > possible I'd rather we avoid them. (Not to say we cant consider
> > > them, but I'll be arguing against :))
> > > kk
> > >
> > If LP gets free software then it would be possible to use it on the
> > gNewSense server, right?
<snip>

Unfortunately it seems Launchpad is not going to be 100% free.[1] I
hadn't seen this mentioned on this list so I thought I would bring it to
your attention.

Canonical have chosen to keep Soyuz (Launchpad's build system, package
management, and archive publisher) and Codehosting (part of the
integration between Bazaar and Launchpad) closed.[2]

Mark Shuttleworth says although Soyuz won't be opened, "Launchpad will
include a tool that you can use with the Debian Archive Kit (DAK), so
you can represent your archives in Launchpad."[3]

1. https://dev.launchpad.net/OpenSourcing
2. http://blog.launchpad.net/general/how-we-are-open-sourcing-launchpad
3.
http://blog.launchpad.net/podcast/launchpod-15-launchpads-going-open-source#comment-25377