[Gnewsense-dev] Mono in the default install

From: Robert Millan
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Mono in the default install
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 15:02:43 +0200

As you might have heard, Richard Stallman has recently written an article,
positioning himself against including Mono by default, and discouraging
it as a platform for developing free software:

The SFLC [1] and other members of the free software community [2] have made
statements backing Stallman's position.

I agree with Richard that this is a serious problem which could in the future
cause great harm to our community if left unstopped (I disagree, however, in
the way Microsoft will use to attack us; if you want to know my own opinion,
I wrote an essay about this in my blog [3]).

This matter concerns gNewSense because the i386/amd64 version is shipping Mono
by default (as a dependency for Tomboy and F-Spot, AFAICS).

IMHO it should be considered among the gNewSense community to avoid promoting
Mono whenever possible.  There's a replacement for Tomboy, Gnote [4], which is
almost identical to Tomboy, and there are a number of high-quality replacements
for F-Spot.  Fortunately, at this time the move I'm proposing doesn't involve
a great loss.

What does everyone think about this?

[4] As I announced earlier in this list, Gnote is already in the default
    install for gNewSense metad (mipsel & powerpc).  Note that at that
    time, Mono was not an option for metad anyway, since it doesn't
    support mipsel:

Robert Millan