Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense update: app-install-data-commercial

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense update: app-install-data-commercial
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 11:08:39 +0200

Karl Goetz schreef:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2009 19:25:09 +0200
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

Karl Goetz schreef:
I noticed that too, so I've reopened the bug report: http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00200
Its a regression, so its now highest priority.
Wonder what I've done ....

Thanks for the bugreport and investigations. I'll look at it when I
can (next few days).
kk
Looks like it was a broken archive push. Should be ok now (Bug is
closed in any case).
kk

I have just taken the time to install long overdue updates on my
laptop and I noticed that app-install-data-commercial was in the list
of updates there also. So I tried reinstalling it on my desktop
machine and that worked, albeit with a lot messages about desktop
files. Example for completeness:

Do you still have gnewsense-desktop installed?

Yes.

entry: kttsmgr.desktop
Toegankelijkheid/ kttsmgr.desktop /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kttsmgr.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/kttsmgr.desktop
we have a application kttsmgr (kttsmgr.desktop)
parent is Toegankelijkheid

What package generates these
errors? /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kttsmgr.desktop is unknown to
packages.ubuntu.com in hardy[-security],-updates or -backports.

It turns out they're not errors. In the attached file you can see that it's a configuration step when installing the package. (Nevermind the error at the end, that's caused by my attempts to figure out bug 309.)

I checked for kttsmgr.desktop myself and it really is in Hardy [1].

I removed it again and then disabled deltah-updates. I tried to
install it again, but now apt-get says:

Package app-install-data-commercial is not available, but is referred
to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package app-install-data-commercial has no installation candidate

Could you run `apt-cache policy app-install-data-commercial`. and
`apt-cache rdepends app-install-data-commercial`

With deltah-updates enabled:

app-install-data-commercial:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 9.5
  Version table:
     9.5 0
        500 http://be.archive.gnewsense.org deltah-updates/main Packages

app-install-data-commercial
Reverse Depends:
  xubuntu-desktop
  ubuntu-desktop

With deltah-updates disabled:

app-install-data-commercial:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: (none)
  Version table:

<app-install-data-commercial>

I saw that you changed the remove_package code in Builder. I don't
know if that somehow reintroduced this bug or that your earlier
solution for it didn't have the effect you'd hoped.

Probably the latter. If we manage to connect on IRC I'll try and work
through it with you. I have a reasonably clean install for testing
which isn't displaying symptoms anything like yours.
Perhaps we need to get some more opinions/input to isolate the
problem.

Regardless of whether you're seeing these symptoms, there are files in our repo that shouldn't be in there. We have an app-install-data-commercial directory [2] with the version from deltah-updates (9.5), but not the version from deltah (9).

[1] http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=contents&keywords=kttsmgr.desktop&mode=exactfilename&suite=hardy&arch=any [2] http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense/pool/main/a/app-install-data-commercial/
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Reading extended state information...
Initializing package states...
Building tag database...
The following packages have been automatically kept back:
  bind9-host gvfs gvfs-backends libbind9-30 libdns35 libgvfscommon0
  libisc35 libisccc30 libisccfg30 liblwres30 libnautilus-extension1
  libpulse-browse0 libpulse0 libpulsecore5 libruby1.8 libsmbclient
  linux-libc-dev nautilus-data pulseaudio-utils python2.5 python2.5-dev
  samba-common xulrunner-1.9
  dnsutils gvfs-fuse icecat linux-headers-2.6.24-24
  linux-headers-2.6.24-24-generic linux-image-2.6.24-24-386 nautilus
  pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-gconf
  pulseaudio-module-hal pulseaudio-module-x11 python2.5-minimal smbclient
  smbfs
  app-install-data-commercial
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 38 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/54.3kB of archives. After unpacking 172kB will be used.
Writing extended state information...
Selecting previously deselected package app-install-data-commercial.
(Reading database ... 229269 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking app-install-data-commercial (from
.../app-install-data-commercial_9.5_all.deb) ...
Setting up app-install-data-commercial (9.5) ...
Caching application data...
/usr/share/app-install/desktop
entry: Accessories
we have a sub-menu Accessories
entry: 7zip.desktop
Accessories/    7zip.desktop    /usr/share/app-install/desktop/7zip.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/7zip.desktop
we have a application 7zip (7zip.desktop)
parent is Accessories
entry: ace.desktop
Accessories/    ace.desktop     /usr/share/app-install/desktop/ace.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/ace.desktop
we have a application ACE (ace.desktop)
parent is Accessories
entry: AClock.desktop
Accessories/    AClock.desktop  /usr/share/app-install/desktop/AClock.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/AClock.desktop
we have a application AClock (AClock.desktop)
parent is Accessories
entry: albumshaper.desktop
Accessories/    albumshaper.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/albumshaper.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/albumshaper.desktop
we have a application Album Shaper (albumshaper.desktop)
parent is Accessories
entry: kde4.desktop
Other/  kde4.desktop    /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/kde4.desktop
we have a application KDE4 (kde4.desktop)
parent is Other
entry: kseg.desktop
Other/  kseg.desktop    /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kseg.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/kseg.desktop
we have a application KSeg Geometry Sketchpad (kseg.desktop)
parent is Other
entry: kipina.desktop
Other/  kipina.desktop  /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kipina.desktop
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/kipina.desktop
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/update-app-install", line 6, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/AppInstall/update.py", line 104, in
main
    generate_menu_cache(options.desktop_dir, options.cache_dir)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/AppInstall/update.py", line 70, in
generate_menu_cache
    menu.createMenuCache(cache_dir)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/AppInstall/CoreMenu.py", line 40, in
createMenuCache
    self._populateFromEntry(menu)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/AppInstall/CoreMenu.py", line 54, in
_populateFromEntry
    self._populateFromEntry(entry, item,  progress=progress)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/AppInstall/CoreMenu.py", line 61, in
_populateFromEntry
    self._dbg(1, "we have a application %s (%s) " % (name,entry.DesktopFileID))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/AppInstall/CoreMenu.py", line 151, in
_dbg
    print >> sys.stderr, msg
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe4' in position
27: ordinal not in range(128)