RE: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo

From: Elias Angulo
Subject: RE: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:26:05 +0000

Yes please, I would like to do everything all right with the repo, send me the requisites you want or look for me in the IRC under the nick felix ;)

At the moment I succesfully generated the GPG key, which is F148081A and its right placed in the repo and APT can manage it.

And I am trying to export VLC from the Ubuntu multiverse repo, and upload to mine. I asked, it respects the Four Freedoms, and it does, but have patenting problems. I googled a bit and found a repo called "multistanza" that initially has the  purpose of hosting this kind of multiverse programs.

deb http://multistanza.freedomdreams.co.uk/ binary-i386/

> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 08:55:04 +0930
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo
>
> On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:08:03 +0000
> Elias Angulo <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > > Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:06:22 +0300
> > > Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] homemade linux-libre kernel repo
> > > From: address@hidden
> > > To: address@hidden; address@hidden
> > > CC:

> > > I used to maintain an apt repo for the free kernels, but stopped
> > > doing so after a while. Installing latest kernels on such a distro
> > > like gNS with a rather older collection of programs sometimes
> > > causes problems. (I remember X malfunctioning after one of the
> > > releases on some people's machines.) So, having people's kernels
> > > automatically upgrading is, in my opinion, prone to a great number
> > > of user problems that don't have to happen. And if you think
> > > freedom shoppe kernels are also used by users of other distros such
> > > as Ubuntu and Debian, the potential of user complaints just looks
> > > to big for me.
> > >
> > > Feel free to share your experience with kernel repo maintanence,
> > > Elias :)
> >
> > Well, the server has been up since i set it up and its pretty stable.
> > I reaches sometimes 100kb/s. At the moment im looking for the
> > linux-libre kernel source in a tarball; perhaps the missing .dsc file
> > would be in there. What i'm looking for is a kind of fle with the
> > description and other stuff that dpgk-scansources can read. Here's a
> > copy of part of man dkpg-scansources:
>
> (trim)
>
> > So, Ali, if youre at charge of maintain those packages, could you
> > make that file and a tar.gz for the source including it? I found
> > strange, a source in a .deb package, its the first time i've seen.
>
> Its standard practise in Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> > The target of the repo its not only to host kernel-libre. I could
> > host any Free package not available in other repos. It was idea of
> > Ark74, calling it Libre Repo, for this purpose. Im open to
> > suggestions. :D
>
> If your going to make a 3rd party repository make sure its got some
> quality standards (start with lintian clean). I started making up a
> list of requirements for a 3rd party repo I was planning to set up, I
> can find it if you want.
> kk
>
> --
> Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
> Debian contributor / gNewSense Maintainer
> http://www.kgoetz.id.au
> No, I won't join your social networking group

Hotmail en tu móvil allá donde vayas ¡Descúbrelo!