Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Is VLC free?

From: crap0101
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Is VLC free?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:31:53 +0200

Il giorno lun, 17/08/2009 alle 23.16 +0930, Karl Goetz ha scritto:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:13:38 +0200
> address@hidden wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm checking ubuntu hardy's vlc source at
> > http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/v/vlc/vlc_0.8.6.release.e+x264svn20071224+faad2.6.1[...],
> > ubuntu 3.3 version, for freedom, and i wonder if the file
> > modules/stream_out/transrate/putvlc.h in the tarball is free. It
> > contains lots of binaries for which i cannot say what they're doing.
> >
> > Could someone help us understanding what is it for? Note: this file
> > comes from the MPEG Software Simulation Group.
> >
> > Christophe

Like Ted said, i think is for mpeg encoding. It seems taken from ISO/IEC
13818-2 DIS.

I can't find ``putvlc.c''; the only file where putvlc.h is included is
``block.c''.

> Is there a licence for the file or just a disclaimer of warranty? :|
> kk

no, there's this copyright notice only:
/* Copyright (C) 1996, MPEG Software Simulation Group. All Rights
Reserved. */

--
me -> http://crap0101.gnu-darwin.org