Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Linux-libre 2.6.30.9

From: Wu Zhangjin
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Linux-libre 2.6.30.9
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 13:48:22 +0800

Hi,

Thanks very much for your testing on 2.6.30.9, but really recommend you
migrating to 2.6.31.5(git://dev.lemote.com/rt4ls.git
linux-loongson/2.6.31/stable). there are some new features from the
official support and also from YeeLoong specific parts(the PM[standby]
and Platform subdrivers[backlight,hotkey,battery,hwmon...] have been
tuned a lot from 2.6.31) there.

And I'm sorry for replying to you so later.

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 00:27 +0100, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
[...]
> - The brightness still changes (to brighter) right after Linux starts.
> I'm not sure if that's supposed to be a feature or a bug.

This "should" be a feature:

Somebody told me the brightness is very high by default(MAX_BRIGHTNESS),
so, I set it as MAX_BRIGHTNESS - 1 when booting, but I ignore another
situaction: when people tune the brightness and want to keep it after
rebooting, it fails. if considering such a situation, that is exactly a
BUG?

So, I will move this strategy back into user-space, will append the
modification into the linux-loongson/2.6.31/stable branch.

>  Brightness
> going down after some period of inactivity when running on battery is
> probably a feature.
>
> - Still getting this in /var/log/messages when starting gnome-terminal:
>
> kernel: [  166.980000] ioctl32(gnome-terminal:3160): Unknown cmd fd(18)
> cmd(0000530b){t:'S';sz:0} arg(2aef079c) on /dev/pts/0

Yes, the same to me, will find out why later, this should not be
loongson specific.

> - I've got two battery meter applets when I disconnect power. They look
> different and show slightly different values.

ooh, Not sure, no such problem in my standard debian system(Will try to
install a gNewsense later).

> - Wifi is a bit slow to connect but is otherwise working fine. I do have
> an nm-applet.
>
> - As with Samy, resuming after suspend to disk caused kernel panic.

Works well on my standard debian 6 system too, I will try it with
gNewSense later.

Does anybody test the sensors and lm-sensors? they are helpful to show
you the temp of cpu and the rotate speed of the fan.

And does Standby work for you?

Enter into standby mode via CLI or Fn+F1(if SLEEP event is configured as
standby via kpowersave or gnome-power-manager or something else) or
close your LID.

$ echo standby > /sys/powe/state

Resume it via any press on the keyboard(Fn is an exception, it not work
as a wakeup event, which emit specific interrupt[hotkey]) or open your
LID.

And I'm trying my best to make the YeeLoong kernel support upstream into
2.6.33, so, you are also welcome to test the master branch in this git
repository:

git://dev.lemote.com/rt4ls.git

Welcome to give more feedbacks, thanks ;)

Thanks & Regards,
        Wu Zhangjin