Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 2.6.31.6 kernel feedback

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 2.6.31.6 kernel feedback
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:03:01 +0100

Wu Zhangjin schreef:
On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 21:29 +0100, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
Frederique W. Piccart schreef:
Compared to the previous kernel that had been put up a week or two ago,
nothing much changed for me, wireless got worse.

It seems, regardless if you press Fn + F5 at boot or not, that radio will
always be off at the beginning. Shortly after this there is a 40 - 50
second DHCP timeout procedure, which afterwards, the kernel will enable
wireless, but doesn't bother to connect to the Internet.
Wifi isn't working at all for me with 2.6.31.6. lsmod shows rtl8187b instead of r8187. No amount of pressing Fn+F5 activates the LED nor a wifi connection. dmesg shows this a few times:

rtl8187: rtl8187_open process failed because radio off

Thanks very much for your report.

Could you please check is there a yeeloong_laptop module loaded? if not,
please load it at first, this module is needed to make the Fn+F5 work,
'Cause that module include a hotkey subdriver to handle function
keys(the Fn+ESC,F1~F5,left,right,up,down).

lsmod shows no yeeloong_laptop module loaded.

# modprobe yeeloong_laptop
FATAL: Module yeeloong_laptop not found.

and perhaps it is compiled into the kernel, you can check it via:

$ ls /sys/bus/platform/drivers/yeeloong-laptop/yeeloong-laptop/

This directory exists.

the subdirectory input:input3/ is used to manage hotkeys.

Directory /sys/bus/platform/drivers/yeeloong-laptop/yeeloong-laptop/input:input3/ does not exist. The only input* subdirectory there is input:input0.

If no such directory there, the module should have not been compiled.

To Robert Millan:

did you choose the yeeloong_laptop module? it is
drivers/platform/loongson/yeeloong_laptop.c, and the relative config
option is:

Device Drivers  --->
        [*] Loongson Platform Specific Device Drivers  --->
                <M>   Lemote YeeLoong Platform Specific Driver

It will enable the yeeloong_laptop module and the yeeloong_battery
module. These two modules have been merged into one yeeloong_laptop
module in 2.6.33, and the configure option have been moved to the menu:
        Machine selection  --->

I forgot to test the other function keys, so I was playing around with them just now. When I tried Fn+F1 the laptop went to sleep. When I pressed Enter it woke up again and, surprisingly, the wifi LED came on. I pulled out the network cable and Networkmanager connect to my wifi network. Pressing Fn+F5 does not turn wifi off again. I no longer get the rtl8187_open messages in dmesg after wake up. The only effect that pressing Fn+F5 has is that (in a terminal window) it either prints "%" (1 percentage sign) or prints nothing but has an effect on the key pressed after it (without Fn): with the arrow keys it's "[A", "[B", "[C", "[D"; with other keys it just blocks the key's input (prints nothing).

Example sequence and output from terminal to clarify (keypresses between brackets):

$
(Fn+F5)
$ %
(Backspace)
$
(Fn+F5)
$
(Arrow Up)
$ [A
(Backspace)(Backspace)
$
(Fn+F5)
$ %
(Backspace)
(Fn+F5)
$
(Arrow Down)
$ [B
(Backspace)(Backspace)
(Fn+F5)
$ %
(Backspace)
(Fn+F5)
$
(h)
$
(Fn+F5)
$ %
(Backspace)
(Fn+F5)
$
(Enter)
$     <-- No newline
(Enter)
$     <-- This is still the first line
$     <-- Only now I get a new line

I rebooted into the same kernel with the network cable unplugged, but again wifi only starts working after Fn+F1 and wake up. At one point, wifi disconnected and LED went off when I unplugged the power cable, but I couldn't reproduce that.

With this kernel I also have 2 battery meter applets, like I did with 2.6.30.9. Fn+Arrow Up/Down changes backlight, as it has always done. Fn+Arrow Left/Right doesn't change audio volume (that didn't work on previous kernels either). The backlight level is now remembered between reboots and it auto-dims after a short idle period.