[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Secure VoIP calling - adoped by Fedora and Ubuntu GN

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Secure VoIP calling - adoped by Fedora and Ubuntu GNU/Linux
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:12:37 -0500

Richard,

I have put together a Debian archive containing both source and test binary
packages for GNU SIP Witch (and the ucommon dependency library) for both
gNewSense and Trisquel at http://www.gnutelephony.org/archive.

For Ruben and the GNewSense developer list,

GNU SIP Witch is an official GNU package that is being used to construct
participatory bottom-up networks using standard protocols and existing free
software SIP clients to construct a free software/open protocol replacement
for Skype which requires no mediating service providers.  As a pure SIP
server, it is able to handle ZRTP enabled clients which can form direct and
secure peer-to-peer media connections.  It has been adopted for this purpose
by several national governments.  However, the goal is to enable anyone
anywhere to communicate securely and privately using free software and the
promise that brings for not having mediating providers potentially in control
of your session or able to intercept it or compromise source-secret clients
through backdoors, all of which are core risks for example with Skype.

In addition to running sipwitch as a domain service for the SIP protocol,
there has been much recent interest in using sipwitch as a unifying mediator
of VoIP on the desktop as well.  This latter role places sipwitch in a role
for desktop VoIP somewhat analgolous to gstreamer for media.  While several
less than perfectly free distros have already adopted sipwitch in these roles
for their next scheduled releases, we thought it essential that this new and
leading edge development in free as in freedom software for telephony should
especially be available to and for those working on entirely free as in
freedom GNU/Linux distros such as gNewSense and Trisquel.