Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Secure VoIP calling - adoped by Fedora and Ubunt

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Secure VoIP calling - adoped by Fedora and Ubuntu GNU/Linux
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 13:40:12 -0500

Hmm...I could try to.  I had actually been considering a small patch to
debootstrap to optionally use qemu static cpu architectures by auto-inserting
the arch image into the debootstrap chroot when building for foreign cpu
architectures, and hence to also enable this for pbuilder as well.  What it
could mean is that anyone will be able to potentially build archives and
packages for any qemu supported cpu architecture as easily as for native
architectures on x86 machines, rather than having to do so by first installing
and running a separate GNU/Linux installation in the target architecture in a
full qemu emulator session.  So far I have successfully experimented with this
for building arm packages and it has worked great and because the native
kernel is called directly, hence performance is somewhat better than in a full
qemu session, but I have not experimented with mips or other static qemu cpu
architectures as yet.