Re: [Gnewsense-dev] metad beta1 released

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] metad beta1 released
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 23:56:16 +1030

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 15:15:27 +0200
Lars Nooden <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz wrote:
> > And incase someones interested, this involves keeping PPC hardware
> > available, and on a high bandwidth connection.
>
> Karl, what models are currently on the market and which one(s) would
> be most useful?

The last generation of PPC apple gear is still about, IBM still does
power hardware, and I've heard there are other companies making new
"consumer" gear, but I've not seen any.

> There are a lot of different definitions for high bandwidth
> connections. During the last year, I've seen some crow about 10Mb/s
> as 'high-speed' What would be a high-bandwidth connection in this
> context?

10Mb/s symetric would be the minimum I'd think (remember source goes
down, and binaries+source go up).
100Mb/s symetric would be ideal.

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)