[Gnewsense-dev] Re: Libre GNU/Linux PDAs (was: Re: Openmoko Mobile Phone

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Libre GNU/Linux PDAs (was: Re: Openmoko Mobile Phone - About the software on it)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:44:52 -0500

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Mirko Lindner <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It is fully supportable by free software, but the only internal wifi
>> solution (3rd party) at this point needs a binary blob (micro-SDIO;
>> couldn't find any Atheros 6k ones). However I think you could use free
>> external USB wifi dongles with it.
>
> The Ben edition of the NanoNote does not have USB host capabilities I am
> afraid, so using USB wifi dongles won't be possible. But Carlos from the
> University on Bogota is in the process of designing a small board which once
> attached to the NanoNote could host many features.

Ah, so the only peripheral connection interface on the Ben Nanonote is
the MicroSD slot (or a custom daughterboard for the low-level
inclined)?

Have you (or anyone) tried an Atheros AR6002 (aka ar6k) wifi card such
as [1] combined with a microSD to SD adapter such as [2]?

[1] SX-SDCAG 802.11a/b/g SDIO Card Module
http://www.silexamerica.com/products/wireless_modules/sx-sdcag.html

[2] IBERIA PC TARJETA ADAPTADORA SD/SDIO A MICROSD / TRANSFLASH (CABLE FLEXIBLE)
http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/3518619/art/iberia-pc/tarjeta-adaptadora-sd-sdi.html

Cheers and congratulations on nearing release,
--
Daniel JB Clark | http://pobox.com/~dclark