Re: [Gnewsense-dev] can anyone build grub mipsel?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] can anyone build grub mipsel?
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 21:30:14 +1030

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:16:17 +0100
Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz schreef:
> > This is all a bit bizare. I don't really know where to move from
> > here. Contact debian grub maintainers? grub upstream? thoughts
> > anyone?
>
> Vladimir (phcoder) dropped by in #gnewsense-dev yesterday to post a
> status report on his work on GRUB to replace PMON (FYI, "only video
> is remaining"). I asked him about the build dependency on gcc 4.4 in
> the sid package. He said GRUB doesn't normally check for gcc version
> (as was evident from my own test with trunk). So it must be something
> specific to the Debian package. Robert Millan is one of the Debian

Lets have a chat on IRC about it at some point. Putting together an
email to the debian-grub maintainers asking about it might be worth
doing. While lenny+mipsel isn't going to be hugely important to them, i
hope they would be willing to work with us to get it working.
There is already a grub2 backport on backports.org, i expect they'd be
willing to backport the updated version (to us, it means we don't have
to maintain the package independently, for them it lets debian users
boot grub on yeeloong, and probably other hardware).
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au