[Gnewsense-dev] Mr. S. Zacchiroli, Debian and gNS3...

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: [Gnewsense-dev] Mr. S. Zacchiroli, Debian and gNS3...
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:02:09 +0200

As you probably know, Debian has recently chosen a new project leader,
Mr. S. Zacchiroli.

Being gNewSense 3 directly based on Debian, I suppose you could be
interested in this interview (in Italian: see below...) he has
released to www.ossblog.it about Debian and its plans:
http://www.ossblog.it/post/6208/intervista-a-stefano-zacchiroli-debian-project-leader-prima-parte
http://www.ossblog.it/post/6209/intervista-a-stefano-zacchiroli-debian-project-leader-seconda-parte-da-fare

The interview is in Italian and is quite long, so I will try to
summarize below (in English - and, please, sorry if it is not so good)
the points most interesting and relevant to the gNS3 development and
its strict "ethical" approach (releases/freezes frequency, kernel
libre, user's freedom etc.).

Most of the questions were suggested by ossblog.it readers.

Here is the summary (still long, but interesting!):

---

[...]

Q. (Interviewer) - There has been talk lately of Debian releases every
two years: is not it too frequently? Does Ubuntu with its releases
every six months could take the place of Debian? Do not you think it is
better scheduling some freezes at least for the "unstable" releases?

A. (Zacchiroli) - Debian has always published its releaseas only "when
ready", ie when no bug is severe enough to make a package unusable or
dangerous for users. [...] Scheduling of freezes is instead a more
interesting concept, which is not inconsistent with the culture of
Debian releases. Scheduling of freezes would make possible for
developers to better plan their work and to understand when it is
better to introduce potentially disruptive changes and when it is
better to postpone. Anyway, the choice of whether or not introduce a
scheduling of freezes must be made by the whole community of Debian
developers, starting from the release team. Personally I find it an
interesting idea to try.

Q. (Interviewer) - When will Squeeze?

A. (Zacchiroli) - Currently, the team aims to release a freeze in June;
releasing from there on only when all the "Release Critical" (RC) bugs
will be solved. I think it's reasonable to think that in a couple of
months we could do it, but will depend on the collective work of all
the people (not only developers but also users who help us by
contributing patches for these bugs).

[...]

Q. (Interviewer) - Does it make sense to continue the battle of a
distro like Debian for the "purity" of the software then when we are
all "forced" to install plugin from Adobe, Skype, Codec Mp3, and so on?
A practical example. One Ubuntu Music Store sells songs in mp3 format
that is not installed by default on the project because it is
completely free: a small contradiction that the same Shuttleworth has
explained with the pragmatism of Canonical. So, are we facing a form of
resistance intended to surrender, or a form of revolution still in the
cradle?

A. (Zacchiroli) - Debian will never have this problem for the simple
fact that needs no gain [...]. Regarding the proposed comparison: yes,
we are faced with a form of resistance, but that is absolutely not
capitulating, indeed. [...] It is certainly hard to see where the
balance is positioned, but my feeling is that the software around me is
ever more free, although progress is slow.

Q. (Interviewer) - Debian will encounter sooner or later the
"commercial compromise"?

A. Never! Are the distributions such as Debian -and not those that
easily bend to the "commercial compromise"- which are increasingly
contributing to free software and to give users more freedom. [...]

Q. (Interviewer) - Will Debian continue using as default a Linux kernel
that integrates binary blobs and other non-free software, or do you
think it should adopt a completely free kernel such as that of the
Linux-libre project? [Note: This is a question I suggested to the
ossblog.it Interviewer... ;-) ]

A. (Zacchiroli) - Debian kernel developers have worked over the years
to separate the non-free firmware from the rest of the Linux kernel. It
was a long job which forced us to compromise for a couple of releases.
Today I am proud to say that the problem, starting from the next
release of Debian Squeeze is solved (except bugs, of course, which are
always possible!). The free firmware part of Linux is now included in
Debian and resides in the "firmware-linux-free" package; this firmware
is 100% compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines. The
non-free firmware is not part of Debian, although it is hosted on our
mirrors for those who wish to use it; its containing package is
"firmware-linux-nonfree". Many people have protested for the
compromises that indeed our developers have done in the past but,
meanwhile, they have never stopped working towards the goal of
separating the free firmware from the non-free.

[...]

Q. (Interviewer) - Compromises are needed to avoid that Linux remains
reserved for the few?

A. (Zacchiroli) - Maybe yes, maybe no, I can not predict the future.
Surely if someone is ready to compromise with non-free software, then
it is useful that there is someone who is *not*, to show the right
direction and to remind everyone its importance.

---

regards
al3xu5 / dotcommon

--