Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Important bug reports (GNU documentation missing

From: Christophe Jarry
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Important bug reports (GNU documentation missing)
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 23:59:01 +0200

>     Given those informations, do you think I better have to just edit
>     the script to copy html files and directory recursively from
>     {binutils,gcc,gdb} website to a directory of the user calling the
>     script? In this case, in which user's directory should I copy
> this html doc?
> I am a bit confused -- before you were talking about .info files, now
> about .html files.
Because binutils, GCC and GDB documentation is not
available in various formats on$SOFTWARE/manual (in contrast to other GNU
software documentation), there are two solutions for them:

- extract .info files from one software source code, gather them
together in something like 'binutils-doc.2.20.1.tar.gz', put this file
on a server, and then get it (how just this file with bzr?) with the
script which will untar, mv to '/usr/share/info/$SOFTWARE' and update
'/usr/share/info/dir' file.

- directly get html documentation for those 3 from their own website
({binutils,gdb} and recursively with wget
and put this somewhere in '/usr/share/doc'.

Anyway, I will learn deb packaging to deliver something working, as
this seems the most consistent solution.

> Anyway, it seems to me that the right thing for this to do is to
> install the docs in the right place in the system.

This is definitively '/usr/share/info' for .info files.