Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Deltah bazaar repo

From: Dmitry Samoyloff
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Deltah bazaar repo
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 23:13:10 +0400

At Fri, 27 Aug 2010 18:51:33 +0300,
Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:

> Paul O'Malley wrote:
> > On 27/08/10 01:29, Dmitry Samoyloff wrote:
> > > Our abuse of Savannah: http://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107429
> > >
> > > Well, I understand "we're generally not prepared to host a
> > > complete distro", the bandwidth and such, but the "legal checks"
> > > have no sense to me in this
>
> While all packages in gNS should be completely free (modulo bugs yet
> to be discovered), not all of them are GPL-compatible.  Savannah has a
> requirement all software to be GPL-compatible, and all documentation
> to be GFDL-compatible.

Oops, I see. Then this is a problem. Savannah's licensing politics is
absolutely right (this is a GNU project after all), but it's obviously in
conflict with distribution of general-purpose GNU/Linux distros. What amazes
me is why we've not realized this earlier :-)

> > the gnu project - that is software that is GPL, not all free software
> > which could have other licences
>
> No.  GNU packages are official packages maintained and released under
> the GNU project's umbrella.  Most of them are GPL, but some are under
> other licenses (LGPL, AGPL, or Modified BSD like ncurses' license).

I think Paul meant exactly this incompatibility of policies. I've just didn't
realized it right away :-)

--
I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!
<http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7253>