Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Xulrunner freedom bug: how to apply patch?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Xulrunner freedom bug: how to apply patch?
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 11:30:18 +0100

Christophe Jarry wrote:
Here I have a problem:

  sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
  apt-get source xulrunner-1.9

gives me xulrunner-1.9.1.4-2, while debian mipsel version is
(http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=xulrunner):

- 1.9.1.15-1~bpo50+1 for lenny backports,
- 1.9.0.19-6 for lenny.

How can this be possible? Is gNewSense metad not up-to-date towards
debian or has debian forgotten to give the sources of their packages?

I should have looked at our xulrunner status before replying. To get Iceweasel to better suit our needs Robert Millan had once imported iceweasel and necessary dependencies from lenny-backports [1]. He had also applied a patch to xulrunner (see [2]). This was before we started keeping metad packages in VCS, iirc. There haven't been any imports from upstream for this in quite a while, which is why you're seeing an old version of xulrunner. I believe importing the backport was done because Lenny's Iceweasel segfaults on mipsel.

If you're going to create patched xulrunner packages then you should also apply Robert's patch. I haven't tried Lenny's Iceweasel again. If it still doesn't work then you should track backports' Iceweasel/xulrunner. I saw that Iceweasel and xulrunner source packages are both around 50 MiB. I'm not sure how much further we can abuse Savannah's bzr hosting [3]. We mostly have small packages in bzr so far.

[1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?28177#comment6
[2] http://archive.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-metad/gnewsense/pool/overlays/buildd/byhand/firefox/
[3] https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107429