Re: [Gnewsense-dev] IceCat 3.6.13 package: lintian warnings

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] IceCat 3.6.13 package: lintian warnings
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 20:49:40 +1030

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 14:03:06 +0100
Christophe Jarry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear gNewSense developers,
>
> I have packaged IceCat 3.6.13 for gNewSense metad MIPS version (I
> plan to use my work on the 3.6.15). It works well but I have still
> warnings from Lintian:

Can you make your package available somewhere? its hard to review the
tags without seeing if they are valid.

>     W: icecat: extra-license-file [...]
>     [...]

Do you install several licence files? Note that this is only a
'Certainty: possible' tag.

>     W: icecat: image-file-in-usr-lib [...]
>     [...]

See below.

>     W: icecat: new-package-should-close-itp-bug

You can ignore this, but if your upload does close gns bugs it would be
good to list them.

> The complete list of Lintian's warnings is attached.
>
> In particular, in Iceweasel, Debian fixed the "image-file-in-usr-lib"
> warnings the following way:
>
>     mv /usr/lib/iceweasel/myfile /usr/share/iceweasel/myfile
>     ln -s /usr/share/iceweasel/myfile /usr/lib/iceweasel/myfile
>
> I find it a bit senseless to do such a thing to satisfy lintian. So I
> want to know if it is necessary to fix all those warnings before
> including this package in gNewSense.

I suspect (but haven't checked with debian) that its because of the FHS
policy on /usr/lib.

/usr/lib : Libraries for programming and packages

Purpose

/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that are not
intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts. [22]

Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib. If an application
uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent data exclusively used by the
application must be placed within that subdirectory. [23]

Since its an image its not any of those listed things, and has to go
in /usr/share.

It would be nice to fix, but i won't be too hung up over it.
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)