Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [debian-yeeloong-project] [loongson-dev] Graphic acc

From: Roman Mamedov
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [debian-yeeloong-project] [loongson-dev] Graphic acceleration on Yeeloong anyone?
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 02:20:41 +0600

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 12:03:55 -0800
Matt Turner <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 4:19 AM, address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We managed to get the graphical desktop working in Debian/Wheezy,
> > thanks to the upgrade of
> > xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion_1.7.6-1loongson_mipsel.deb from [1].

What you mean is: we finally gave up on fixing this in Debian and decided to
just direct everyone to use the Anheng repo packages, which btw are available
since ages ago, and howto on that [1] was published by me in March-2011.

Not that this is particularly bad, just for some factual correctness. :)

[1] http://romanrm.ru/en/loongson/siliconmotion

> But I've never tried my pixman code with o32 and frankly don't care if
> it works at all because it's complete nonsense to care about
> performance and also use o32. Advice #2: don't use an o32-ABI
> distribution if you care about performance. Gentoo has n32/multilib
> stage4s with pre-built Xfce available on our mirrors in
> /experimental/mips/desktop-loongson2f/

My benchmarks of Debian O32 vs Parabola N32 have shown a difference of about 8%
in the very best case in favor of Parabola.

The N32 experimental port of Debian [2] is defunct since a long time ago. And
8% was way far from being enough to justify switching distros from the familiar
Debian for me.

[2]
http://sandyleo26.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/gsoc-proposal-creating-a-new-mips-n32-abi-port-for-debian/

As for Gentoo, I don't know, is there even a way to use it on the Yeeloong
without having to personally compile every singly package you install?
Because that's certainly not what I would want to do on a slow netbook.

--
With respect,
Roman

"Stallman had a printer,