Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Question about gNewSense 5 (Debian Stretch)

From: Paul Boddie
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Question about gNewSense 5 (Debian Stretch)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 18:30:19 +0200

On Monday 17. April 2017 23.03.04 Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Op Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:38:10 +0200 schreef GREen MOnster Games
<address@hidden>:

> > 3. The collaboration to write a new website. Drupal, wordpress, plone
> > or more more more more more more other.
>
> I still think the problem is not with Moinmoin itself. I'd like to take
> a different approach to tackle the issue. There are currently 24955
> pages and 43272 users in the wiki. I'd first like to get rid of all
> users who have never edited anything. If there's not already a script
> that does that, it will have to be written.

I can probably dig up something either from the MoinMoin site or from scripts
I've written to delete users who register to try and spam but never manage to
perform edits.

I think Moin is a good-enough solution for the gNewSense site. Going off and
making another CMS or trying to shoehorn WordPress, Plone or Drupal into this
role is a colossal distraction that probably won't yield the hoped-for
benefits, anyway.

[...]

> Being transparent means better communication. I'm going to think of a
> way to manage my time to do that. The think is that when I reply on the
> mailing list I want to do it properly. So I want to take enough time
> and get a clear head. Often both are lacking at the end of the day when
> I have all other stuff out of the way, so I end up postponing my
> replying, sometimes way too long. I need to dedicate some time for
> this, if maybe only once a week. That wouldn't be super responsive, but
> it's better than leaving things linger indefinitely.

Is no-one getting any financial support for working on gNewSense, then? Is it
yet another case of "glory" supposedly being sufficient reward for everybody's
time and the impact on their health and quality of life?

> I'm not sure what being more distributed would mean for the project.
>
> [1] https://savannah.nongnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=gnewsense

For me, I'd just appreciate a simple overview of how Debian's output is
transformed into gNewSense. It seems to me that everyone who knows how a
distribution is made is so embedded in the process that they never really care
about communicating how it is done. As far as I remember, the wiki had some
descriptions, but they were out-of-date and described the previous Ubuntu-
based approach.

Paul