[ot] Re: [gNewSense-users] ppc version

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: [ot] Re: [gNewSense-users] ppc version
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:48:55 +1030

Christian Mauduit wrote:
Hi,

Karl Goetz a écrit :
Mariot Chauvin wrote:
Does a ppc version of gNewSense based on ppc ubuntu dapper version is
planned ?
[...]
If someone has time + resources to build one.
I confirm gNewSense-ppc does interest some people. However I perfectly
understand you don't have (yet) the ressources to build it. FYI I do
have ppc hardware at home (my laptop) but I doubt its 30GB hard drive
(23GB usable for files after creating swap and losing space for ext3
stuff) will be enough for serious distro building. *sigh*
But I've seen brand-new under 600€ mac-minis lately, might be an option.
My ppc comp. is much the same.
And to jump on another subject, I think I'll try and make live-CDs with
the free software games I develop, and find a way to make them
downloadable, so that end-users can try them out (the games) without
having to install a full GNU/inux distribution on disk. Most (if not
all) gamers use proprietary systems, and I'd better offer them the
possibility to run a GNU/Linux system (and the game!) without breaking
anything on their computer rather than wasting my time in endless
efforts to port the game to a platform which is not very... GNUish 8-)
Remember direct rendering wont work on any newer cards.
kk
You'd say I could have done this with any other distro. That's true. But
doing it with a 100,00% free distribution gives it that little touch
that might decide me to do it for good. Also, a side effect of the
distro being light is that there's room to add custom packages to it.

Good luck with your project.

Christian.
--
Karl Goetz