Re: [gNewSense-users] [artwork] GTK engines!

From: Markus Laire
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] [artwork] GTK engines!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:54:36 +0200

On 11/13/06, Brad Pitcher <address@hidden> wrote:
On 11/12/06, Brian Brazil <address@hidden> wrote:
> Yes, but as with KDE this isn't supported as someone hasn't gone
> through it to make sure it's fully free. Should be trivial for xubuntu
> though.

 What does this involve?  I started going through the packages in the
xubuntu-desktop meta package and it seem that some packages are under a
"gpl license with exceptions".  For example, cdrecord and cupsys:
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/c/cdrtools/cdrtools_2.01+01a01-4ubuntu6/cdrecord.copyright
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/c/cupsys/cupsys_1.2.0-0ubuntu5/cupsys.copyright

Are there any guidelines we can use to help decide whether the software
still falls under the free software umbrella even with the exceptions to the
license.  Maybe someone can put something on the wiki?

IANAL, but IIUC it's OK to give additional permissions in addition to
GPL (which cupsys seems to be doing.)

It's NOT OK to add additional restrictions (which cdrecord is doing).
See e.g. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=387783
(This is also mentioned in http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00031 )

--
Markus Laire