[gNewSense-users] Re: Browser (was: GNASH?)

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Browser (was: GNASH?)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:43:59 +0000

On 04/11/06, Andreas K. Foerster <address@hidden> wrote:
Am Samstag, dem 04. Nov 2006 schrieb Dave Crossland:

> >How about Epiphany?
> The value of Firefox/Iceweasel is the universe of extensions
> available. Though I see
> "The Epiphany Extensions package is what you will need. Epiphany runs
> all the same popular plugins that run in Mozilla."
> -
> suggests that only
> those extensions listed work.

Extensions and plugins are a different matter.

"Plugins" are for what you can see in the webpages. They are to render
specific file-formats, not directly supported by the browser software.
Plugins can be shared between all Mozilla based browsers.

"Extensions" are extensions to the browser, ie. what you can get from
the browser-menus.

Ah yes, of course - thanks for clarifying that.

They are specific to the several browsers.

> I use GPL extentions not on the list, like When I
> get home I'll test this, unless anyone replies with the answer :-)

That seems to be a browser specific entension.

Because IceWeasel is a fork of Firefox either functionally identical -
Debian Iceweasel - or functionally very similar - GNU Iceweasel - then
Firefox extensions work.