Re: [gNewSense-users] What is the firefox problem?

From: avr
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] What is the firefox problem?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 11:28:35 +0100

Hi,

> Can someone please elaborate on the "firefox problem" - something to do
> with a trademark on the Firefox-encircles-the-globe logo, right? but
> Linus has the trademark Linux, doesn't he? Does this same trademark
> problem afflict Thunderbird email?

The firefox problem, as far as gNS is concerned, is mainly about it advertising
and offering to install proprietary software. The trademark may or may not be a
problem, but is less important than the proprietary plugin one.

> If not firefox, then which? Epiphany is the "default" GNOME browser, but
> I must admit I've never used it. Any good? (I use firefox now 'cos I
> started using it when I was on Windows).

GNU Iceweasel would take care of both problems. But the problem is we'd have to
wait
for it to trickle down from the repository upstream or package and maintain it
ourselves.

        friendly,
        Andreas