(clarification) Re: [gNewSense-users] can't get root

From: Paul O'Malley
Subject: (clarification) Re: [gNewSense-users] can't get root
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:59:34 +0000

Paul O'Malley wrote:
> Bill McConnaughey wrote:
>> I installed gNewSense 1.0 without apparent problems.  But I can't log in
>> as root.  Should I have given "root" when it asked for a user name during
>> the installation?  What can I do about it now?
> you don't need root
> you need to use sudo for the likes of apt-get so sudo apt-get install
> package name
sudo command-line-in-a-terminal
> and
> gksu graphical_application
again running this in a terminal, however with a view to the application
 running in X

> if you need to be root and you really should do
>
> sudo -i
>
> there are very few reasons for needing to be root ever
>
> the password is the password of the first user
the password sudo is asking for is the password of the first user
if more than one user is to be granted sudo access that can be done in
the advanced tab setting up the subsequent users

http://bugs.gnewsense.org/

> It is supposed to work with: 256 megabytes ram and 3 gigabytes of hard
> drive space, for a usable system then a P3 500 would be useful.
more ram and bigger processors make it more fun to run

> We are based on dapper so its figures apply more or less.
>
> Bad sector where?
> If it was on the CD, nothing we can do about that. Please look at our
> site and for the reasons we choose to start where we did.
>
> Diagnostic what?

Cheers
Paul