Re: [gNewSense-users] Ubuntu->gNS upgrade path

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Ubuntu->gNS upgrade path
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 17:26:13 +0000

On 15/01/07, Brian Brazil <address@hidden> wrote:

1. Change sources.list

I'm not sure what that means - do you mean changing it to the
gNewSense sources.list? That's my best guess.

I obtain a laptop (IBM ThinkPad X31 with no CDROM drive) that is
running Windows.

I go to http://instlux.sf.net and download
instluxNETUbuntu6_06english.exe and run it

I reboot

I install Ubuntu as usual

I login and open the Terminal and type a command to install SSH, so
that I can transfer files to the laptop easily and securely:

$ sudo apt-get install ssh
* Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server...                             [ ok ]

I then type a command to find out the IP address of the laptop with

$ ifconfig
inet addr:192.168.0.51

I then go to my gNewSense desktop and open the Terminal, and type a
command to transfer the gNewSense sources.list to the laptop, straight
into the user's home directory:

$ scp /etc/apt/sources.list address@hidden:

Going back to the laptop I then move the Ubuntu sources.list out of the way:

$ sudo mv /etc/apt/sources.list{,.ubuntu}

And move the gNewSense sources.list into its place:

$ sudo mv sources.list /etc/apt/

2. aptitude dist-upgrade

I then update the apt system but this fails:

$ sudo apt-get update
Password:
Get: 1 http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad Release.gpg [191B]
Hit http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad Release
Errhttp://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad Release

Get: 2 http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad Release [1107B]
Ign http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad Release
Get: 3 http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security Release.gpg [191B]
Ign http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad/main Packages
Ign http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad/universe Packages
Ign http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad/main Sources
Ign http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad/universe Sources
Hit http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad/main Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad/universe Packages
Hit http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad/main Sources
Hit http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security Release
Errhttp://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security Release

Hit http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad/universe Sources
Get: 4 http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security Release [1101B]
Ign http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security Release
Ign http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security/main Packages
Ign http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security/universe Packages
Ign http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security/main Sources
Ign http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security/universe Sources
Hit http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security/main Packages
Hit http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security/universe Packages
Hit http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security/main Sources
Hit http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security/universe Sources
Fetched 2590B in 1s (1977B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: GPG error: http://gb.archive.gnewsense.org deltad Release: The
following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is
not available: NO_PUBKEY 3FCB83DD91854607
W: GPG error: http://gb.security.gnewsense.org deltad-security
Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the
public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 3FCB83DD91854607
$

Could someone take this, test it and generally own it? I'd like this
working by the weekend. Should be just a few hours work. Your results
should form a nice howto on the wiki, with appropriate warnings.

Sorry for the delay; hopefully we can get it working by the next release :-)

--
Regards,
Dave