Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Glossy GNU ?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:59:24 +0930

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Kevin Dean wrote:
>> This is not an official responce, but I asked Paul about this as soon
>> as I read the announcement on Ubuntu-devel.
>> As of now, there is no news. The gNS developers have been invited to
>> UDS to see what can and can't be done together; beyond that there's
>> not news because nothing is happening.
>> However, if Ubuntu should do this, gNewSense will continue to exists
>> as it's own project; Canonical run Ubuntu as a commercial distro that
>> includes non-Free content; gNewSense is, and will continue to be,
>> about Freedom. The goals are not the same, and one projects can't
>> incorporate the other
> I don't think /Ubuntu/ can incorporate gnewsense, but Canonical
> certainly *could* offer a free as in freedom distro without unfree
> dependencies.  I hope they follow through with this announcement and do
> just that.  If they don't, I will continue using gnewsense.
One thing that is required for a distribution to be FSF free is not
hosting non-free content in its repositories - and i dont see ubuntu
loosing multiverse or restricted.
Unless they deliberately break binary compatibility between the two
versions, the new ubuntu winds up non-free by default.
It will be interesting to see.

> Matthew Flaschen

Karl Goetz
User of gNewSense: Free as in Freedom -
Australian Ubuntu users team -
User of Debian, The Universal Operating System -