Re: [gNewSense-users] Rhythmbox mp3 support [solved]

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Rhythmbox mp3 support [solved]
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:48:41 +0930

Mitch Wiedemann wrote:
> Michael Stevens wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 04:18:33PM -0400, Kevin Dean wrote:
>>
>>> I don't believe this package itself is an issue. gstreamer does not
>>> produce codecs, they are a media framework. It just allows gstreamer
>>> programs to access codecs that are already present, in this specific
>>> case, the mp3.
>>>
>> We shouldn't have a mp3 codec!
>>
>> See http://bugs.gnewsense.org/Bugs/00037
>>
>> Michael
>>

> You'll have to get rid of XMMS too then.  It plays my .mp3 files in
> gNewSense with no problems.
>
> I guess I'll make my way back to Debian or Ubuntu.  Cheers all.

Bug 81 depends on bug 37 to be relevent or not.

However, bug 37 *has not* got a final resolution (afaik no one in the
dev group has agreed to teh bugs resolution and enacted it).

Patents are applicable in the USA, Japan, Australia and a bunch of other
countries. Not all contries.
If its illegal where you are to install/mirror mp3 codecs, don't do it.
That doesn't mean it has to come out of the main (well, universe)
repository.

Of course, its all IMO
kk

--