Re: [gNewSense-users] Compatible Video Cards with 3D Acceleration

From: Kevin M. Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Compatible Video Cards with 3D Acceleration
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 22:26:33 -0400

As of this moment, there are no non-Intel (integrated) video cards that
support stable 3D acceleration using Libre drivers. The Radeon driver
distributed with Xorg is under a Free Software license but it contains
microcode that can't be adapted, modified and learned from. This is why
it was removed from gNewSense. Microcode in this manner restricts
freedoms 1 and 3.

However, the Nouveau project is working on filling this lack: A 3D
accelerated driver for all but the oldest nVidia cards without binary
blobs or microcode. Some of the developers have gotten glxgears to run,
so this is TECHNICALLY Libre 3D, but it's not useful for day-to-day use.

I made my buying decision based on this and purchased an nVidia GeForce
7600 GS, installed the non-free nVidia driver, ran REnouveau and then
dropped to the stable(ish) 2D nouveau driver once that was done.

You can find more on Nouveau here: