Re: [gNewSense-users] GFDL

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] GFDL
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 21:44:22 -0400

The GFDL allows for certain parts to have a "you can't edit this"..
For instance the author's name, cover art and bibliographic

This is NOT a required part of the license... For instance, the
gNewSense website itself uses GFDL with NO invariant sections.

I say that pretty clearly established at least HALF of the issue. GFDL
with no invariant is certainly a Free License. Debian believes that
the GFDL WITH invariant is non-free because it can't be modified; I'd
also agree with one exception... If the invariant part is the author's
name, I consider that still Free - after all you can't modify the text
of the GPL itself or the copyright notice.